More by this artist
More albums you may like
Versailles: Music from the Palace (In association with NGA)
From the Palace of Versailles grew one of the richest cultures the world has ever known. Music was at the centre of this extraordinary artistic flowering, as the finest composers in the land gathered to celebrate the splendour of Louis XIV, the Sun King.
This album takes in the composers who worked in Versailles, from Jean-Baptiste Lully – the son of an Italian miller who became the Sun King’s favourite composer – to Pierre-Danican Philidor, who performed for the King every Sunday in the intimate surrounds of his royal apartments. It also surveys music by composers associated with the court, including Mozart, who visited as a young boy. From grand choral works of the French high baroque to intricate chamber music for two or three instruments, Versailles: Music from the Palace brings alive the music that rang out in the halls of one of the world’s most astonishing cultures.
A musical companion to the National Gallery of Australia’s exhibition Versailles: Treasures from the Palace, which runs 9 December 2016 to 17 April 2017.
Performers include Richard Tognetti, Taryn Fiebig, Fiona Campbell, Rosalind Halton, Benjamin Northey, Ensemble Battistin, and the Australian Chamber Orchestra, Australian Brandenburg Orchestra and the Adelaide, Tasmanian and West Australian Symphony Orchestras.
- 1. CHARPENTIER Te Deum: Prelude
- 2. MONTÉCLAIR Ô Toi, Déesse de Cithère, tendre Vénus (O Thou, goddess of Cytherea, tender Venus) from The Death of Dido
- 3. COUPERIN Le Tic-Toc-Choc, ou les Maillotins (The Rope Dancers)
- 4. MASCITTI Violin Sonata in F major: Adagio
- 5. MASCITTI Violin Sonata in F major: Allegro assai
- 6. MASCITTI Violin Sonata in F major: Adagio
- 7. RAMEAU Naïs: Overture
- 8. HANDEL Water Music Suite No. 2: Prelude
- 9. HANDEL Water Music Suite No. 2: Hornpipe
- 10. GLUCK Dance of the Furies
- 11. GLUCK Che farò senza Euridice? (How will I live without Eurydice?)
- 12. GLUCK Dance of the Blessed Spirits
- 13. LULLY Regina coeli, laetare (Queen of heaven, rejoice)
- 14. BATTISTIN Vous qui rendez Flore immortelle (You who make Flora immortal) from The Waters of Thomery
- 15. RAMEAU Paix favorable, paix adorable (Kindly peace, beloved peace) from Dardanus
- 16. PHILIDOR Suite V: Gigue & Les Echos
- 17. MOZART Symphony No. 41 ‘Jupiter’: Finale (Molto allegro)