More albums you may like
“her luminous soprano proves ideal for Bizet’s soaring lines” – The Guardian, London, 2015
“you’d be hard pressed anywhere to hear more consistently satisfying singing”
– Dallas Morning News, 2014
“the young singer of the moment” – Limelight Magazine, 2014
“a voice dripped in rich honey” – Herald Sun, 2014
Brilliant young Australian soprano Nicole Car unveils her debut album: The Kiss.
Nicole is one of the brightest stars on the international opera scene. In October 2015 she made a sensational debut at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden to unanimous critical acclaim, singing Micaela in Carmen; in December 2015 she returned to Covent Garden in the lead role in Eugene Onegin opposite Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Nicole has been known to Australian audiences for several years through her major roles for Opera Australia; and she has already won the 2013 Neue Stimmen competition (Germany) and received nominations in the International Opera Awards and for several Helpmann Awards (Australia).
The Kiss surveys the arias that have made Nicole’s name: nineteenth-century gems, well known and neglected, that showcase the outstanding beauty, unforced lyricism and compelling passion of her voice. At the heart of the disc stands the ‘Letter Scene’ from Eugene Onegin – Nicole’s performances of which have astounded audiences across the world. Her passion for Russian repertoire continues with music by Rimsky-Korsakov.
A gorgeous and rarely recorded lullaby by Smetana from the opera Hubička (The Kiss) gives the album its name, and the themes of intimacy and love throughout the recording. From Rusalka asking the silver moon to shine on her beloved prince to Amelia in Simon Boccanegra awaiting her lover, and from Servilia lamenting her fate torn between love and duty to Gounod’s Marguerite trembling with excitement as she sees herself in new-found jewels – this is an album of beguiling, passionate gems sung by one of the finest voices of today.
- 1. GOUNOD Faust - Ah, je ris de me voir si belle (Jewel Song)
- 2. VERDI Il trovatore - Tacea la notte placida (The night was still and calm)
- 3. PUCCINI La bohème - Mi chiamano Mimì (They call me Mimì)
- 4. RIMSKY-KORSAKOV Servilia - Tsveti moi! (My flowers!)
- 5. VERDI Simon Boccanegra - Come in quest’ora bruna (In this moment before dawn)
- 6. TCHAIKOVSKY Eugene Onegin - Introduction, Act I
- 7. TCHAIKOVSKY Eugene Onegin - Puskai pogibnu ya (Tatyana’s Letter Scene)
- 8. CILEA Adriana Lecouvreur - Intermezzo, Act II
- 9. CILEA Adriana Lecouvreur - Io son l’umile ancella (I am the humble servant)
- 10. BIZET Carmen - Je dis que rien ne m’épouvante (I say that nothing can frighten me)
- 11. SMETANA Hubička (The Kiss) - Overture
- 12. SMETANA Hubička (The Kiss) - Vendulka’s Lullaby: Hajej, můj andílku (Hush-a-bye, my angel)
- 13. DVOŘÁK Rusalka - Měsíčku na nebi hlubokém (Song to the Moon)
- 14. MASSENET Thaïs - Dis-moi que je suis belle (Tell me that I am beautiful)